Up and out early to catch the coach to Wales for the clay match against Saint Bride’s Major. We arrived and had a 75 target shoot in the quarry. I was quite pleased with my 40. It was better than most of the true Kingswood club members.
Unfortunately the Welsh beat us. Their high gun, shot 59, seemingly getting all the difficult shots but dropping some easier shots.
They had their usual pair of birds across the top of the quarry. Most of us have real difficulty with this stand. It makes for an interesting shoot being very different to our own shoots.
Back to the pub at 2.30 for beer and roast beef lunch. And what a surprise, I have never heard some many positive comments about the price of the beer, £1.50 for a pint (20 fluid ounce, a little over 500 ml) .
Today I went Paragliding at Combe Hill near to Newbury. The wind was not ideal because it was a North East wind. This site should easily take a North East wind, but for some reason it can be quite rough when blowing from that direction.
There were very few people there, probably because of the wind, the football and the competition in Wales. I had three flights, two short flights when the wind was light resulting in me doing a couple of side landings.
The final flight was 20 minutes, when there was plenty of lift. It was quite rough and I did not enjoy parts of the flight. The wing had a couple of small asymmetric tucks while I was flying. I bottom landed in the end to get out of the rough air.
I did not fly again, because the wind was stronger and everyone who flew after did not enjoy their flights much.
Pete Sherrif has started his Wednesday evening compact clay shoot. Went over and had a couple of rounds in preparation for our match against the Welsh at the weekend. Despite the sun, it was was very much brass monkey weather.
Went to see Cressex Katie today. She did not go out for a canter like the other horses because she is running at Wolverhampton on Monday. Took a few pictures of her and the other horse in the yard. They should be up on the site in a couple of weeks.
The mobile phone started to text message me with wind warnings at Coombe Gibbet. Yes the wind was blowing from the North West, so it was a Coombe day. I dithered around all day wondering whether to go. Eventually I left work at 3.15, and arrived at Coombe at around 4.45, to find about 20 paragliders at the site.
There had been flying, but the wind had gone further round to the West and now it seemed unflyable to me. I did see some gliders do a little flight, but with the liklyhood of no thermals at the end of the day, and the wind not on the hill at all, I decided the trip had been a waste of time.
Make you mind up early and go and fly, don’t wait till the end of the day.
Take note of the forcast, this did show the wind moving to the West at the end of the day. This made Dunstable flyable late on, so I should have gone there and not Coombe.